World News

Israeli strikes kill two and injure others as Gaza attacks continue 

22 August 2026
This content originally appeared on Al Jazeera.

At least two Palestinians have been killed in Israeli attacks in the last 48 hours, Gaza’s Ministry of Health says, as many victims of past strikes remain trapped under rubble, inaccessible to ambulance and rescue crews.

Four injured people were also brought to hospitals in Gaza, the Health Ministry said on Saturday.

list of 3 items

end of list

An Israeli drone attack targeted the al-Hasanat family in the central city of Deir el-Balah on Saturday, killing one person and wounding others, Al Jazeera’s Ashraf Abu Amra reported from the city.

Abu Amra said the attack was carried out without warning to the family, in an area crowded with tents of displaced people. Ambulance and civil defence crews rushed to the scene and transported several wounded people to Al-Aqsa Martyrs Hospital in the city.

Abu Amra reported that the Israeli army carried out two demolition operations in Deir el-Balah, with explosions heard from a distance as the targeted houses collapsed into rubble.

Israeli forces also pushed into the eastern part of the city and struck multiple homes there, he said, with troops remaining positioned close to civilian areas along the city’s eastern perimeter.

Israeli strikes and home demolitions continued elsewhere in the enclave, including in the southern city of Khan Younis. In eastern Khan Younis, Israeli forces shelled several civilian areas, targeting displaced Palestinians’ camps sitting across from the military-controlled area along the “Yellow Line”.

Israeli forces have advanced further into the east of Gaza City, expanding the “Yellow Line” towards more civilian areas and demolishing property and infrastructure inside the zone.

Advertisement

According to local reports, a woman was wounded after being fired at by Israeli forces near ad-Dawa Street, northeast of the Nuseirat refugee camp, in an attack on civilians in central Gaza.

There were also Israeli artillery attacks in areas northeast of the Bureij refugee camp in central Gaza, as they continued firing in the eastern parts of the Strip.

Abu Amra said Israeli air and artillery attacks have intensified in areas the military designates as “humanitarian zones”, where more than two million people are concentrated in roughly 30 percent of the Gaza Strip’s total area.

Despite the so-called “ceasefire” agreed to in October 2025, Gaza’s Health Ministry said on Saturday that 1,285 Palestinians have been killed in Israeli attacks since then. Overall, since Israel’s genocidal war began in October 2023, 73,419 Palestinians have been killed in Gaza, most of them women and children.

The toll remains incomplete, authorities say, as thousands are feared trapped under the rubble of destroyed buildings. As families retrieve bodies of their loved ones, Gaza is also running out of space to bury the dead.